Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm owned!

"Under His Wing" by Jay Bryant
The Lord's Art.com

The scripture that I'm studying today is Colossians 1:10. I have links to CrossWalk.com so that you can look at the verse in their parallel Bible and compare different Bible versions. There are also Greek and Hebrew lexicons for further study.

Col. 1:10
That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; The King James Version (Authorized)

"Walk worthy of the Lord" . Is my walk - my life - worthy of the LORD? This passages tells me that I should live my life (walk) in a way that is worthy of the LORD and is pleasing to HIM.

The command to walk worthy of the LORD is also stated in 1 Thes. 2:12.

Now, think about worthy. How does one live his life in a way that is worthy of the LORD?

The God's Word version translates Col. 1:10 this way: "We ask this so that you will live the kind of lives that prove you belong to the Lord. Then you will want to please him in every way as you grow in producing every kind of good work by this knowledge about God. " (hightlights are mine)

Living a life that is worthy of the LORD is to live in a way that proves we belong to HIM. And, if we are truly Christians we do want to live our lives as proof that we belong to Him. We were bought with a price:

1 Corinthians 6 Read This Chapter
6:20
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
The King James Version (Authorized)


and here:

1 Corinthians 7 Read This Chapter
7:23
Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
KJV




HE purchased us with HIS blood....

The King James Version (Authorized)
Acts 20:28 Read This Chapter

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
KJV

Our precious LORD purchased us with his own blood and that means we (believers) belong to HIM. So, now we "walk worthy of the LORD" because this pleases HIM. The good works that we do as we increase in knowledge are pleasing to Him.
He paid for my sins.
I want to be worthy...

He purchased me.
I want to please him...

I belong to HIM.
I want to learn more about Him (increasing my knowledge)

Prayer

Taking a look at the verse right before our main verse of study we find that this is a trait that is prayed for.


The King James Version (Authorized)
Colossians 1:9 & 10 Read This Chapter

For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heavenly Father, Please fill me with knowledge of YOUR will and all wisdom and spiritual understanding so that I may walk (live) worthy of YOU; and, as my knowledge increase let the fruit of my every good work please YOU. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Let us never cease to pray!





No comments: